Examples of Central Questions explored through advanced molecular lab work at ABI:
How will you...
- analyze human DNA samples in the lab?
- demonstrate human genetic variation at the molecular level?
- use repeated DNA sequences and SNPs to reveal human identity?
- use microarrays ("gene chips") to study gene expression in cancer patients?
- obtain molecular evidence for the process of biological evolution?
- genetically engineer bacteria to express a novel trait?
- purify a specific protein from a complex mixture?
- test a patient's serum for the presence of foreign antigens such as the SARS or HIV viruses? (simulation only)
- test for genetically modified organisms found in food products?
- reveal your own genetic ancestry through sequencing of your mitochondrial DNA?
- resolve the debate over the use of biofuels?
- understand the powerful gene-editing technique that uses CRISPR-Cas9 technology?